Saturday, March 5, 2011

Blogging in the dark! Plus Pros and Cons of RSS

I have to share something with the class. I have been getting feeds and I didn't even realize what they were. It is sad. I just thought of them as emails. I am more than a little technology challenged. I do think that it is great to get so many interesting things in your email. All kinds of articles and ongoing conversations. It means that in the waiting room I have something to read and I feel a sense of accomplishment. I can feel a little better about spending so much time waiting to be seen by whoever I am waiting for at the time. I think that the feed reader is a little chaotic. I actually think that this just adds to the tendency towards ADD type behavior that is so common today. Life is just so hectic that it is difficult to focus on what you are doing so we tend to distract ourself from the moment by doing something else. Like at my daughters soccer game I had to keep telling myself not to check my email to pay attention to practise. I very much enjoy this site called flylady.net (not sure I embedded this link the right way I am not sure it is working) I subscribed to it and it has interesting tips about how to declutter your house and support for people feeling overwhelmed, but let me tell you that if you are already drowning in your cluttered life the mass of emails that will fill your inbox from flylady.net will make you wonder why you subscribed. I think that is the point I am trying to make is these things can be too much. You have to ask yourself how much time do I have to read these feeds? Limit yourself to the truly important ones and delete the ones that you aren't interested in. It is better to have all the feeds organized on one feed reader. I am not too interested in logging into another account anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment